Country Club Hills School District 160
4411 West 185th Street
County Club Hills, IL 60478
(708) 957-8686 (Fax)
1958, residents of Cooper’s Grove voted to incorporate their community
in order to control the development around them. The name of Country
Club Hills was selected for the newly incorporated City. From its
inception, Country Club Hills was designed to be a bedroom community.
The original City plan intended to maintain the City’s rural atmosphere
in a suburban setting. Open space and the dedication of parklands were
required in order to maintain the rural atmosphere. In 1989, the City’s
Strategic Policy Planning process resulted in a call for a
restructuring of the City’s historic land use patterns. The new
strategic plan recommended increasing the amount of potential,
additional residential development. The plan recognized the need to
diversify the tax base and provide greater opportunities for economic
expansion, and to maintain the original character of the community. It
is this combination that helps to make Country Club Hills an attractive
choice for families.
records of the area indicate that in the 1880’s a one-room schoolhouse
was opened on the corner of 183rd and Cicero Avenue. Jane
Condon is recorded as taking over the teaching job from its first
teacher, Lucille Rinkenberger, who retired in 1941 and was awarded the
salary of $1,035.00 and had a curriculum of English, reading writing,
German and translating. However,
by 1943, there were not enough students to keep the school open. After
World War II, the school was reopened with teacher, Hazel Charlesworth, greeting 29 students.
1952, the one room school was partitioned off so that Emma Wagner could
teach grades 1 – 4 and Carolyn O’Neill could have a separate space for
the upper grades. The school became so crowded that a new school building was approved in February of 1953 by the Board of Directors.
final four graduates of Cooper’s Grove School received their diplomas
on Sunday, May 24, 1953 at a special ceremony attended by Noble J.
Puffer, Cook County Superintendent of Schools, residents and board
members, Fred Niemeyer and Theodore Nietfeldt.
- Cooper’s Grove School was closed shortly after on April 4, 1956, the land and the schoolhouse were sold.
1958, the population of Country Club Hills was large enough to support a
full time seven-person Board of Education and a Superintendent of
Schools was hired.
- School District 160 has grown to include three schools (Zenon
J. Sykuta School, formerly Willowview Elementary founded in 1959;
Meadowview School built in 1971; and, Southwood Middle School
established in 1973) with a population of over 1500 students served by a staff of over 150 employees.